About Our Beans
Originally planted in the 1960’s, the majority of Papua New Guinea’s coffee trees come from quality bean stock of Jamaican Typica (aka Blue Mountain) and Bourbon Varietals of Coffee Arabica. Though Typica, the original coffee varietal of Coffee Arabica, generally produces lower yields than other varietals, the cup quality is top notch. Bourbon, on the other hand, produces slightly higher yields with a distinctive, memorable sweetness.
As opposed to being produced by large farms or estates, the majority of coffee produced in Papua New Guinea comes from premium small holders, many of whom are subsistence farmers in the highland tribes. Handpicked and pulped communally, the coffee beans are grown without the use of chemicals, often in the shade and/or with mixed crops. Centrally processed using the wet process (washed) and sun dried on patios, the best coffee from this process is graded as PSC, or Premium Smallholder Coffee. The Laughing Pug is proud to be a part of this process, which is not only considered highly sustainable and quality-focused, but creates a vital income source for Papua New Guinea’s small holders as well as a great cup of coffee for our consumers!
Using our state of the art Italian made roaster, the beans are slow roasted to a medium brown colour. The resulting cup displays good acidity and body with smooth, creamy, chocolaty flavour accompanied by hints of nut.
“Having tasted coffee all over the world, I’m glad to have The Laughing Pug to kick off my mornings in Australia. The flavours go above and beyond, and now I’m spoiled for life!” Peter Rimkis
- - Morobe (Wau) PSC A
- - Type of Coffee – 100% Arabica
- - Name of Farm or Cooperative – Smallholder Coffee
- - Region & Geography – Wau, Morobe Province, Papua New Guinea
- - Altitude – 800/1200 Metres
- - Climate – Temperature Range 15 to 26 C
- - Annual Rainfall – 2000mm
- - Wet Season – December to March
- - Cultivars – Typica (Blue Mountain) & Bourbon
- - Preparation & Drying Process – Hand Picked, Hand Pulped, Washed, Sun Dried, Machine Hulled and Polished
- - Harvest & Exportation Time – Main crop harvested between April and September